Pages

Mar 18, 2009

Why?


Past few days have been crazy busy. I have been wanting to write about so many things, but haven't had enough time to write. Yeah! I hate that excuse too. So, I decided that I am going to sit down tonight and write just a little bit about whatever.

I went to work the other day and found my supervisor was out for the day. I was surprised because she is usually at work before me and announces loud and clear if she plans on not coming to work the next day. Then what happened today? Why is she not at work and that too with out a notice? I asked the receptionist if she had any clue… (The receptionist is a super talkative lady with a thick sing-song southern accent, who just turned 60 yesterday!) So she says “Awww you know scruffy is so ill and he is in the hospital and very critical too. So supervisor had to be with him today. He needs her you see” “Oh! That’s sad. I am sorry”.

Trust me folks, I meant every word I said to her. I was genuinely sad. Not because Mr. Scruffy was ill (well yeah about that too), but more than that… because I was jealous of him. Yes! Jealous of a dog. And I am sure a lot of other people would be too. I don’t know why, but the first thing that came to my mind after hearing this was… if people have the time to spare, the money to spend and the need of affection, why don’t they adopt a baby?

Not that I don’t like the idea of having pets. The only thing that bothers me is that people, so easily, ignore the fact that there are so many kids in the world who never lived their childhood; never had families; never had or will have anyone to take them to the hospital if they fall sick. And I don’t want anyone to adopt a child out of pity. I am just surprised how adopting a human child is not usually our first choice over adopting a puppy…